Sokaogon Chippewa Community News

October Domestic Violence Awareness Month

In 1989, Congress designated October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM) to mourn victims, celebrate survivors, and network for change.

Domestic violence can happen to anyone, regardless of age, race, class, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Abusive behavior can appear at any time in the relationship, whether you’re dating, married, or if you have children together. It’s not always easy to tell if a relationship is unhealthy or abusive.

There are resources to help!

StrongHearts Native Helpline is a confidential domestic, dating and sexual violence helpline for American Indians and Alaska Natives, offering culturally-appropriate support and advocacy.

The StrongHearts Native Helpline is a collaborative effort of the National Domestic Violence Hotline and the National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center.

How can you tell if your relationship is abusive?

Does your partner ever:

  • Put you down, embarrass or make you feel bad about yourself?
  • Control what you do, what you wear, who you see, talk to or where you go?
  • Keep you from seeing your friends or family?
  • Look at you or act in ways that scare you?
  • Push, punch, slap or strangle you?
  • Prevent you from going to school or work?
  • Tell you that you’re a bad parent or threaten to take away your children?

To explore your options and available legal resources, speak with a StrongHearts advocate by calling 844-7NATIVE (844-762-8483) seven days a week from 7:00 am to 10:00 pm CST.

View the StrongHearts Native Helpline brochure which includes information on preparing to leave an abusive relationship.

Brighter Days assists ALL enrolled SCC Tribal Members and their families who are experiencing difficulties as a result of being a victim of a crime.

Brighter Days assists victims of adult physical assault, adult sexual assault, adults sexually abused or assaulted as children, domestic or family violence, human trafficking, and victims of other types of abuse.

For assistance, please call 715-622-0558 or 715-622-0366.